Thursday, July 12, 2012

Even Kings

I have to admit to you a love of mine. It might even be a love of yours, and if it is, GOOD CHOICE! Being a poetic and lyrical person, I have a deep, deep love for the book of psalms. Psalms is fantastic, and if you've never read it, please do at least once in your lifetime. The psalms are my favorite because of how completely they are able to relate to everyday life. They have such intense meaning, and they really make you feel what the author was feeling at the time of its penning. Even more so, I love the psalms because I am a huge, HUGE fan of the life and character of David. David was a "man after God's own heart." Now, I'm a woman, but I would LOVE to be known that way: as "a woman after God's own heart." David started off low on the totem pole. He was the shepherd boy that no one brought to mind when they heard the word "king" and even "defeating the Philistine giant."

Psalm 13 is one of those passages that you can read in a time of great distress, but by the time you're finished reading it, you're so emotionally involved in it that your mood changes with the attitude of the passage. Let's have a look at it, shall we?

"How long, oh Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Look on me and answer, oh Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me."

I can't imagine what David may have been going through when he wrote this! He felt like God had forgotten him. A KING felt like God had forgotten him. This incredibly powerful man, who had slain tens of thousands of men, was anointed by God, and defeated a giant, felt like God wasn't there. Wow. David didn't have it all together. David had a true yearning for God and an honesty with his pains that gives me hope. But, at times, I feel the same way David did. I feel forgotten by God. I feel like I can't see him. And I very much feel lost, confused, and troubled by my thoughts and the culmination of the things unclear in my life and heart.

Recently, a woman I look up to and trust my heart with prayed over me in my confusion. I didn't even know where to start. She asked for any examples, but the only thing I could say was "I don't know." You know how that feels? To not even know what you're confused about because there's so much else there? When she prayed, God gave her Psalm 13 to tell me. Psalm 13 is my current favorite passage in the entire bible. It relates so much to my life:
things are so unclear, I don't know what to do
I feel forgotten and lost
I feel like my enemies have it better than me and use it against me
but...
God's love for me is unfailing, even when I fail. I'm so grateful that I'm free by Christ's blood. I thank the Lord for the incredible friends he gave me that help me when I can't find my way. I sing to him, because he gave me a gift to give back to him.

When my friend said Psalm 13, my heart felt a burden being freed. Why? It reminded me of something I have personally found critical to my walk: when I feel like I'm at the lowest of low and there's no possible way I can get any further down, I need God to pull me up, and he'll only help me out of my pit if I ask him. The tears said it all - God has not forgotten me in my time of need. He gave me that verse because that was how I felt, but also because I needed the reminder that when I feel that way, even if I don't get answers, he'll bring me peace.

No comments: